Ok, so we all know - it doesn't get too cold in Houston. My husband and I went away for the weekend - last weekend, and it got down into the 30s and we both swore up and down that we would freeze to death. We don't "do" cold. Although, I love when it actually feels like fall and winter - I like to be inside enjoying it - in the warmth.
Part of that enjoyment comes from a nice big fire, the other part is from a heaping bowl of steaming hot soup. I can't help you with the fire, but I have got a great soup recipe that I think you will just love. We sure do!
Baked Potato Soup
4 bacon strips, diced
1 small white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half
½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp.
2. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
3. Set bacon aside.
4. Sauté onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.
5. Stir in flour, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; mix well.
6. Gradually add broth.
7. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil.
9. Garnish with bacon and cheese.