Friday, November 21, 2008

Favorite Ingredient Friday - Soup Edition

Ok, so we all know - it doesn't get too cold in Houston. My husband and I went away for the weekend - last weekend, and it got down into the 30s and we both swore up and down that we would freeze to death. We don't "do" cold. Although, I love when it actually feels like fall and winter - I like to be inside enjoying it - in the warmth. Part of that enjoyment comes from a nice big fire, the other part is from a heaping bowl of steaming hot soup. I can't help you with the fire, but I have got a great soup recipe that I think you will just love. We sure do! Baked Potato Soup Ingredients: 4 bacon strips, diced 1 small white onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon dried basil ¼ teaspoon dried thyme ½ teaspoon pepper 3 cups chicken broth 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 cup half-and-half ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce Shredded Cheddar cheese Directions: 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. 2. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. 3. Set bacon aside. 4. Sauté onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. 5. Stir in flour, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; mix well. 6. Gradually add broth. 7. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. 8. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. 9. Garnish with bacon and cheese.

Looks delicious, doesn't it?!?

2 comments:

Ms. Kathleen said...

This sounds good to me.... A nice rainy day meal. Have a great weekend!

Overwhelmed! said...

I think potato soup is one of my favorites but I rarely remember to actually make it at home! I'll have to try your recipe soon!

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Soup Edition recipe exchange from last week! I hope you’ll join in my recipe exchange again today.