Monday, October 27, 2008

It's That Time!

As of today, we've got exactly a month until Thanksgiving - it's time to start thinking about baking! I have decided that this year - I am starting early (I said the same thing last year and it didn't happen), and then I am going to freeze some things - until Thanksgiving. The first thing on my list to make is, of course, Pumpkin Bread. I love, love, love the smell of it baking. It makes the whole house smell warm and inviting - just like fall. Here is the recipe that I like to use:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of Pumpkin Puree
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I use the sweetened)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 3 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • Walnuts, and raisins are optional!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil and water together in one bowl, until well blended. In another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together (sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger). Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture, until well blended together. Add in nuts and fruit, if you prefer. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

I also like to bake them in a muffin pan, for Pumpkin muffins, or in miniature loaf pans, to give as gifts.

Since it makes two loaves, I pour batter into one loaf pan, then add some walnuts to the batter left in the bowl, mix it up really well, and then fill the other loaf pan. That way, all of my family is happy - the nuts and the rest of them!

For an extra special treat - melt about 4 tablespoons of butter, and add a sprinkle or two of sugar and cinnamon. While the bread is on a cooling rack, still hot, poke some holes in the top of the loaf/loaves, and pour the cinnamon/sugar butter over the top!

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I don't know why I have been craving this stuff like crazy lately!