Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole

Before Denver was born, I cooked up a lot of stuff and filled our deep freezer so that I wouldn't have to worry about cooking once we got home. One of the things I made was a Cheesy Zucchini Casserole that I found on allrecipes.com We had never tried it before but one of the fabulous things about allrecipes is that you can type in ingredients that you have and then search recipes based on them. A fantastic way to ensure your ingredients don't go to waste because you don't know what to do with them. Anyhow, I layed the casserole dish in the fridge yesterday morning and then about an hour before D was supposed to get up, I put the dish in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees. It was delicious so I thought I'd share the recipe (I didn't take any pictures): Ingredients: 1/2 cup uncooked white rice 1 cup water 1 pound pork sausage 1/4 cup chopped onion 1 cup diced fresh tomato 4 cups cubed zucchini squash 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained 1 (8 ounce) package velveeta cheese, cubed 1 pinch dried oregano salt and pepper to taste Directions: Combine the rice and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until evenly browned. Drain excess grease. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes, and cook until tender. Stir in rice, mushrooms, and cheese. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish, or a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and bubbly. Because I was freezing the casserole, I didn't bake it. I let it cool, put on an airtight lid, labeled and dated the contents and then stuck in the freezer. Enjoy!

No comments: