Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage.
- Remove sausage and drain.
- Sauté onions and garlic in drippings.
- Stir in beef broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.