Thursday, July 28, 2011

Custom Classroom Jars

Meredith asked me to make some jars for her bookshelf in her classroom, so that she could clearly (and cutely) organize some supplies for her kiddos. She picked up some jars at Hobby Lobby and some scrapbook paper and away I went...

These are the jars that we started with.
I found a shape on my Silhouette machine that I just loved, so I picked out some scrapbook paper and cut out one of these for each jar. I used Elmer's spray adhesive to attach them to the jars.

Then I got some black cardstock and made 4 more of the same shape, just a bit smaller.

I cut out (of white vinyl) all of the labels that she wanted for the jar, put them on transfer paper and then applied them to the black cardstock.

I decided to add white eyelets to the sides of each black cardstock label (to run ribbon through).

Then I cut 3" strips of ribbon to run through each eyelet and I just tied them into knots. I used the leftover ribbon from the name plate so that they would all match.
Then I used more Elmer's adhesive to spray the backs of them and attach them to the black and white scrapbook paper that I already had on the jar. I just held it down for about 30 seconds (especially close to the ribbon) to make sure that it dried and everything was stuck down well.

I was able to find a set of 10 pencils for $1.44 at Wal-Mart that matched her decor, so I picked up two packages. Don't they look adorable in this jar? Plus, when she "loans" out pencils to students - it'll be easy to identify which ones need to be returned.

She'll fill this one with those big pink erasers. I wish we could find other colors, but the pink ones were on sale, so those are the ones that she bought!

She found rulers on sale too, so she'll have plenty to fill this jar up.

And for when the kids are good and deserve a treat, she has a candy jar! I told her that she was only allowed to give out tootsie rolls because those match her jars! :)

And all of the jars done! I'm really pleased with them. I think they came out really well and I can't wait to see them in her classroom.

2 comments:

rashelle said...

those are so cute. I got my kids big white erasers at Fred Meyer last week if you have one near you. they are made by paper mate.

kimberly dyan said...

all this stuff is so cute morgan! you are so talented!