Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Custom Classroom Name Plate

My little sister really liked the nursery plate that I made for Denver's room and wanted something similar for her new classroom. She went to Hobby Lobby and picked up the plate and picked up some ribbon and brought it back to me and asked me to make her something from it.

This is the plate that I started out with.

I got on my computer and pulled up the Silhouette Studio program, that goes to my silhouette machine (now that I FINALLY started using it, I'm a bit obsessed).

I decided I would just make a name plate for her desk or bookshelf. I cut her name out in black vinyl (font is called Andrea Karime), and then cut out a piece of transfer paper. Once you get all of the extra vinyl off, you peel the backing off the transfer paper and smooth it onto your vinyl. Then you place your vinyl wherever you would like to adhere it, peel off the back (the vinyl will be stuck to the transfer paper) then you place the transfer paper down, smooth it and make sure you get all the bubbles out and then wah-lah! You have vinyl! This is what the plate looked like after I placed the vinyl, with the transfer paper. Then I threaded some cheap (99 cents per roll) ribbon through it and tied a small bow on the top. Just an fyi though - if you want to make a plate like this and you have a patterned ribbon... Start upside down at the bottom of the plate and thread it around. By the time you get to the top of the plate, the ribbon will be right side up and your bow will come out pretty. I say this because I learned the hard way. If you look back at the nursery plate that I made for Denver - the pattern on the ribbon is upside down at the top.

This craft is easy and cute! I think it took me 15-20 minutes from start to finish.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. Esp. for Teacher Appreciation Week.

raul perez canseco said...

Hello I am the author of Andrea Karime ... I can use your photo in my gallery of sources? my mail is raulperezcanseco@gmail.com

Thanks

Unknown said...

Great Post..!!!
Read our post:- Buy nameplate online in India

Roshan said...

Nice! The information I got through this blog has really helped me in understanding this topic. You can also check our blog: name plate online

Roshan Jha said...

Thanks for one marvelous posting! I had enjoyed reading it. You can also read similar blog: name plate online