Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crying It Out

Today I decided to try to let Denver "cry it out". He's getting really bad about not going to sleep at all on his own and when he wakes up (except during the night) he refuses to go back to sleep unless I rock him back to sleep. Of course, I'd love to hold him and rock him all day but that's not realistic if I want to get anything done. Plus, I know when he starts daycare they aren't going to sit and rock him all day. After he ate this afternoon and had a clean diaper I put him in his swing and gave him his pacifier. He was so tired he could hardly keep his eyes open so I thought it'd be a great time to let him put himself to sleep. He was content (and awake) for about 5 minutes before he started crying. And then he continued to cry and then escalated to screaming and carried on for 30 minutes and never fell asleep. I couldn't take it anymore and I went and picked him up and just seeing that little pink face all upset broke my heart. I sat down in my chair, and started rocking him and crying. It broke my heart that he would get that upset and all he was wanting was to be cuddled and loved on. I just keep thinking that he'll only be this little once and all too soon he won't want me to love and kiss all over him or rock him to sleep. So, at least for now, I don't think that "crying it out" is for us! Denver fell asleep while I was rocking him & my arm started going to sleep so I layed him down in my lap. Of course, I took a picture.


I don't know if I'll ever be able to let that sweet baby cry without picking him up and letting him know that his mommy is there for him. The decisions we make as parents are so hard sometimes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The CIO isn't for babies under 6 months I'm I'm correct.