Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wreath for Hospital door

My sister-in-law made a wreath for us to take to the hospital but I hung it up in Denver's room and was worried that the trip to the hospital and back might damage it some (while we're trying to lug everything else around) so I decided to make another one that would be cute but I wouldn't be heart broken if something happened to it. So, I sat down with some rubber bands, a styrofoam wreath base, a package of size 1 diapers (I used about 25), a hot glue gun and some ribbon.

Diapers and rubber bands. At least one end of the diapers should be white unless you don't mind seeing the decorations on them. These are Pampers.

Lay the diapers out flat and start rolling them from the open side first towards the closed (bottom) side of the diaper.

The key (I learned the hard way) is to roll the diaper in a slight cone shape.

It should look something like this - not a noticeable size different from the top to the bottom but it makes a big difference when you're attaching all of the diapers to the wreath. Just trust me on that one!

Then just secure them with a rubber band.

Then I started laying them out around the wreath frame to see how many I would need. In hindsight, I would wrap the wreath frame with ribbon. You can't see it once it's hung up but it does look a bit unfinished when you're just holding it.

I forgot to take pictures of putting the ribbon on. I just wrapped it around one diaper to see how much I needed then used that cut piece of ribbon as a template for all the other pieces I needed to cut. I cut them all out and then just wrapped it around the diapers and hot glued them on. Just pull the ribbon tight and put the hot glue only on the ribbon and you won't mess up the diapers (you especially want to do this if you're making this for a gift). Then I tied ribbon around the wreath base to use as a hanger and then I went around the wreath and hot glued all the diapers on.

I bought a little wooden sign at Hobby Lobby and spray painted it antique white. I knew that I wanted the wreath to match the "Oh Joy, It's a Boy" stuff I had been making so I decided to make the same thing I had made for the nurses' gift jar. I used Elmer's Spray Adhesive to secure it to the sign and then just ran baby blue ribbon through it to tie to the wreath. I hot glued it to the back of the wreath and then just made a simple bow and hot glued it to the top of the wreath.

And here it is all done! I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I'm not going to lie - it was much harder than I thought it would be and took me about 4 hours. Will probably be the last time I make one!

No comments: